As part of my new year’s preparation series, today I am sharing 20 journal prompts for the new year with you!
Every year we think of january 1st as a blank slate. We start fresh, and we’re excited for the possibilities. But what if we haven’t truly let go of the last year? Or we haven’t really looked forward yet, for whatever reason?
I believe that it’s important to look back and get closure from everything, as well as to look forward into the future and be excited about the things to come. So today, I have written 20 journal prompts for you, 10 to look back on the past year, and 10 to look forward to the new year.
don’t forget to pin this post!
I know people always say it’s not good to look back, but I actually think it is. We learn from our past, and we can get some invaluable lessons from it. On top of that, can we truly move forward if we have unresolved issues or situations? I don’t know about you, but I know I can’t.
Besides, these journal prompts are also a great way to take a moment to reflect on all the good things that happened last year. Whether it was a good year for you or not, I am sure good things happened as well, and it’s always important to remember them.
I love the idea of keeping your answers safe and reflecting on them in a couple of years to remember the good times and see how far you have come in the years between. So without further ado, here are your journal prompts for the new year.
Journal prompts for the past year
- How do you feel about the past year?
- Do you have any unresolved feelings from the past year?
- Are there any loose ends to tie up before you move on?
- What did you want to do but you haven’t done yet?
- What were the 3 most important lessons learnt?
- What were your 10 favorite moments?
- What are 3 things you didn’t like the past year, and how did you deal with them?
- What are 3 things you’re proud of from the past year?
- Who were the most important people in your life this year?
- Write a letter to 2020
Journal prompts for the new year
- How do you feel about the upcoming year? Are you excited, anxious, neutral?
- What are 3 things you want to achieve in the new year?
- What are 3 things you want to do in the new year?
- What do you want to improve this year?
- What is your biggest focus this year?
- What are you looking forward to?
- What is one place you want to visit this year?
- What do you want to make more time for?
- What is your word (or however many you’re comfortable with) for this year?
- Write yourself a letter from future you on the 31st of December. Write about all the amazing things that happened this year and how wonderful it truly was.
Don’t forget to pin this post!
I truly hope you enjoyed going through the questions, and they have helped you get some closure from the last year, and perspective and direction for the new year. Write down your answer, and next year you can see how many of your answers came true!